Linking completely statically

Albert Y. C. Lai trebla at vex.net
Wed Aug 12 16:24:20 UTC 2020

On 2020-08-12 10:15 a.m., Volker Wysk wrote:
> But it sounds quite complicated. What I have in mind isn't worth the
> trouble. I just wanted to have a statically linked version for
> inclusion in my backup and in my maintenance USB stick.

I have an exe built by GHC in January 2014 (that's like GHC 7.6), and it
is still running just fine on the latest Ubuntu. (In fact I have a daily
cron job that runs it.)

This is a data point for how long GHC default linking can last IRL.

Historically my recollection of the only one breakage event in this
regard was a libgmp version bump. And that was a bygone era, clearly
before my vintage 2014 exe.