[ANNOUNCE] GHC 8.4.3 released

Ben Gamari ben at well-typed.com
Tue May 29 20:07:23 UTC 2018

Hello everyone,

The GHC team is pleased to announce the availability of GHC 8.4.3. The
source distribution, binary distributions, and documentation for this
release are available at

    https://downloads.haskell.org/~ghc/8.4.3

This release includes a few bug fixes including:

 * A code generation bug resulting in crashing of some programs using
   UnboxedSums has been fixed (#15038).

 * #14381, where Cabal and GHC would disagree about abi-depends,
   resulting in build failures, has been worked around. Note that the
   work-around patch has already been shipped by several distributions
   in previous releases, so this change may not be visible to you.

 * By popular demand, GHC now logs a message when it reads a package
   environment file, hopefully eliminating some of the confusion wrought
   by this feature.

 * GHC now emits assembler agreeable to newer versions of Gnu binutils,
   fixing #15068.

 * SmallArray#s can now be compacted into a compact region

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to developing, documenting, and
testing this release!

As always, let us know if you encounter trouble.

How to get it
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The easy way is to go to the web page, which should be self-explanatory:

        http://www.haskell.org/ghc/

We supply binary builds in the native package format for many
platforms, and the source distribution is available from the same
place.

Packages will appear as they are built - if the package for your
system isn't available yet, please try again later.

Background
~~~~~~~~~~

Haskell is a standardized lazy functional programming language.

GHC is a state-of-the-art programming suite for Haskell. Included is an
optimising compiler generating efficient code for a variety of platforms,
together with an interactive system for convenient, quick development. The
distribution includes space and time profiling facilities, a large collection of
libraries, and support for various language extensions, including concurrency,
exceptions, and foreign language interfaces. GHC is distributed under a
BSD-style open source license.

A wide variety of Haskell related resources (tutorials, libraries,
specifications, documentation, compilers, interpreters, references, contact
information, links to research groups) are available from the Haskell home page
(see below).

On-line GHC-related resources
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Relevant URLs:

GHC home page              https://www.haskell.org/ghc/
GHC developers' home page  https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/
Haskell home page          https://www.haskell.org/

Supported Platforms
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The list of platforms we support, and the people responsible for them, is here:

    https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/TeamGHC

Ports to other platforms are possible with varying degrees of difficulty. The
Building Guide describes how to go about porting to a new platform:

    https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Building

Developers

We welcome new contributors. Instructions on accessing our source code
repository, and getting started with hacking on GHC, are available from the
GHC's developer's site:

    https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/

Mailing lists