Open up the issues tracker on ghc-proposals

Anthony Clayden anthony_clayden at clear.net.nz
Wed May 2 01:33:44 UTC 2018

gmail.com> wrote:

> Sometimes, a language extension idea could benefit from
some community discussion before it's ready for a formal
proposal.

Can I point out it's not only ghc developers who make
proposals. I'd rather you post this idea more widely.

As a datapoint, I found ghc-users and the café just fine
for those discussions.
Ghc-users seems to have very low traffic/is rather wasted
currently.
And I believe a lot of people pre-discuss on reddit.
For ideas that have been on the back burner for a long time,
there's often wiki pages. (For example re Quantified
Constraints.)

> I'd like to propose that we open up the GitHub issues
tracker for ghc-proposals to serve as a place to discuss
pre-proposal ideas. Once those discussions converge on one
or a few specific plans, someone can write a proper
proposal.

I'm not against that. There gets to be a lot of cruft on
some discussions about proposals, so I'd expect we could
archive it all once a proposal is more formalised.

AntC