Rewrite rules involving LHS lambda?

Conal Elliott conal at conal.net
Sat Dec 2 20:59:30 UTC 2017

Thanks for the reply, Ed.

> I'd assume that `x` didn't occur in either `u` or `v`

This is exactly the issue I'm wondering about. Since rewrite rules admit
lambdas and only first-order matching, I'm wondering whether they're
interpreted as you did (and I'd tend to), namely that `x` doesn't occur
freely in `u`or `v`, in which case lambdas don't seem useful in rules (and
yet were implemented for some reason) or they're interpreted as allowing
`x` in `u` and `v`, and substitution captures. I'm still puzzled.

With a wee bit of higher-order matching, one might make `u` and `v`
functions and instead write:

> foo (\ x -> fmap (u x) (v x)) = bar u v

In that case I'd expect `u` and `v` to be synthesized rather than literally
matched. For instance, `foo (\ (a,b) -> fmap (+ a) [b,b,b])` would match
with `u = \ (a,b) -> (+ a)` and `v = \ (a,b) -> [b,b,b]`.

-- Conal