Getting rid of -XImpredicativeTypes

Simon Peyton Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Mon Sep 26 08:49:42 UTC 2016

1) ImpredicativeTypes enables types like `Maybe (forall a. a)`. Do those just disappear, or are they also enabled anyway? (I would guess the former.)
Yes, they’d disappear.

2) There was a sketch drawn up around a year ago (I think) aiming to actually fix ImpredicativeTypes. I don't recall who was working on it, but I think when I mentioned it in the context of something else, you didn't seem to be aware of it. I guess it's safe to say that nothing ever came of it, at least inasmuch as no one ever showed you their proposal for a properly functioning ImpredicativeTypes?
It’s just a swamp.  I have tried multiple times to fix ImpredicativeTypes, and failed every time.  Which is not to say that someone shouldn’t try again, with new thinking.

Simon