RFC: Removing the `-hb` profiling option

davean davean at xkcd.com
Fri May 6 18:02:09 UTC 2016

On Fri, May 6, 2016 at 1:39 PM, Carter Schonwald <carter.schonwald at gmail.com
> wrote:

> What about disallowing -hb on threaded builds? That does just sort of punt
> it a little bit, it a not quite satisfactory way perhaps

But the non-threaded runtime isn't really a first class citizen, is it?
Consider
http://hackage.haskell.org/package/base-4.8.2.0/docs/GHC-Event.html#v:getSystemEventManager
which is Nothing on the non-threaded runtime. So you can't really just "run
it unthreaded" to profile any program using that style of implementation.
Even when you don't touch it directly, the program runs very differently.

As for hb, I'd probably cry least about losing -hb but they all serve
different, and in my opinion, important needs.