Qualified names in TH?

Simon Peyton Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Tue Mar 17 08:42:05 UTC 2015

What Edward says also applies to code quotations.  So, for example:

module M

import IntSet

f :: Q Exp -> Q Exp

f blah = [|  fromList $blah |]

module N where

     import M

The splice expands to (fromList [x,x]), but the fromList guaranteed to be the fromList in scope where f is defined (in M), and NOT whatever other fromList might be in scope at the splice site in N.

Moreover, you do not need to import IntSet.

I hope that helps.  Would someone like to add a section to https://wiki.haskell.org/Template_Haskell, to explain?  There are several tutorials there as well.

Simon