simultaneous ghc versions

Erik de Castro Lopo mle+hs at mega-nerd.com
Fri Jul 31 20:31:38 UTC 2015

Evan Laforge wrote:

> The recent release of ghc 7.10.2 reminded me of something I meant to
> ask about a long time ago.  Most of the binaries ghc installs are
> versioned (x linked to x-7.10.2), with some exceptions (hpc and
> hsc2hs).  Shouldn't they all be versioned?  Also, 'haddock' is
> inconsistent with all the rest, in that it's haddock linked to
> haddock-ghc-7.10.2.

I maintaing multiple versions of GHC on all the machines I use regularly
for Haskell development. I have:

* ghc-7.6.3 installed under /usr/lib/ghc-7.6/
* ghc-7.8.4 installed under /usr/lib/ghc-7.8/
* ghc-7.10.2 installed under /usr/lib/ghc-7.10/

To switch between versions all I need to do is modify $PATH
to remove say /usr/lib/ghc-7.6/bin and add /usr/lib/ghc-7.10/bin.
This lets me have two terminal window side by side with different
versions of GHC.

I actually have a shell function to to do this PATH mangling. I can
document this more fully if anyone is interested.

Erik