simultaneous ghc versions

Sven Panne svenpanne at gmail.com
Fri Jul 31 19:54:21 UTC 2015

> [...] The only thing I find missing is the ability to install a binary
> distribution without overwriting the existing symlinks (e.g. ghc ->
> ghc-7.8.4).

I second the OP's request and Reid's one: I think the binary distributions
for *nices should neither contain unversioned executables nor should they
try to link these to the versioned ones for themselves. This is exactly
what update-alternatives is for, and it does it in a very principled,
standard way everyone understands (or can at least look up :-). Death to
the not-invented-here syndrome! :-D