simultaneous ghc versions

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Mon Aug 3 14:17:46 UTC 2015

On Mon, Aug 3, 2015 at 10:04 AM, Alexander Berntsen <alexander at plaimi.net>
wrote:

> On 31/07/15 20:10, Evan Laforge wrote:
> > Come to think of it, shouldn't ghc include this, instead of
> > everyone creating their own shell scripts by hand?
> I don't think so. This is usually done in the userland -- at least in
> GNU+Linux distributions.

More to the point, various distribution methods already include such things
(e.g. NixOS, Debian's alternatives system, MacPorts' "port select") plus
there are various mechanisms for implementing this on an ad-hoc basis (GNU
stow, environment modules, etc.). Downstream packages implementing their
own versions of this except speicifically on an opt-in basis (e.g.
configure option) tend to interfere with these and complicate inclusion
into existing package systems.