Overlapping and incoherent instances

Iavor Diatchki iavor.diatchki at gmail.com
Tue Jul 29 17:28:56 UTC 2014

Hello,

I have no strong feelings about what words we use, but I wanted to point
out that while we are thinking of names, we may want to consider 3 (and not
just 2).  Currently we have:
  * OVERLAPPING:   This instances may overlap existing instances
  * OVERLAPPABLE: This instance may be overlapped by existing instances
  * OVERLAPS:  This instance is both OVERLAPPING and OVERLAPPABLE

Of course, the 3rd one (OVERLAPS) could be replaced by a comma separated
list of the first two, but I could not see how to make this work easily
with GHC's pragmas.  It would not be hard to simply allow 2 pragmas after
the `instance` keyword, but both of those seem rather long.

Either way, I'll keep an eye on the discussion, and would be happy to
change the names if a consesus is reached.

-Iavor