ANNOUNCE: GHC 7.8.1 Release Candidate 1

Michael Steele mikesteele81 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 4 21:52:26 UTC 2014

I also ran into a problem on Windows.

c:\>cabal install safe
Resolving dependencies...
Configuring safe-0.3.4...
Building safe-0.3.4...
Preprocessing library safe-0.3.4...
[1 of 2] Compiling Safe.Foldable    ( Safe\Foldable.hs,
dist\build\Safe\Foldable.o )
Can't open perl script "C:\ghc-7.8\lib\ghc-split": No such file or directory
Failed to install safe-0.3.4
safe-0.3.4 failed during the building phase. The exception was:
ExitFailure 2

Copying "ghc-split" from the Haskell Platform into c:\ghc-7.8\lib seems to
work around the problem.

c:\>cabal install safe
Resolving dependencies...
Configuring safe-0.3.4...
Building safe-0.3.4...
Preprocessing library safe-0.3.4...
[1 of 2] Compiling Safe.Foldable    ( Safe\Foldable.hs,
dist\build\Safe\Foldable.o )
[2 of 2] Compiling Safe             ( Safe.hs, dist\build\Safe.o )
In-place registering safe-0.3.4...
Installing library in
C:\Users\Mike\AppData\Roaming\cabal\safe-0.3.4\ghc-7.8.20140130
Registering safe-0.3.4...
Installed safe-0.3.4

c:\>ghci
GHCi, version 7.8.20140130: http://www.haskell.org/ghc/  :? for help
Prelude> import Safe
Prelude Safe> readMay "1" :: Maybe Int
Just 1
Prelude Safe> :quit
Leaving GHCi.

On Mon, Feb 3, 2014 at 10:38 PM, Ganesh Sittampalam <ganesh at earth.li> wrote:

> Just to note a problem I encountered on Windows, which may well be user
> error.
>
> I unpacked the mingw tarball and added the bin directory from it to my
> path. cabal install then failed with "cabal.exe: does not exist" after
> producing some other output.
>
> Running with -v3 suggested that the actual problem was that the ld on my
> path couldn't read the .o files produced by GHC. I changed my path to
> also include the mingw\bin directory from the tarball, and then all was
> fine.
>

> On 03/02/2014 22:35, Austin Seipp wrote:
> > We are pleased to announce the first release candidate for GHC 7.8.1:
> >
> >     http://www.haskell.org/ghc/dist/7.8.1-rc1/
> >     http://www.haskell.org/ghc/docs/7.8.1-rc1/html/
> >
> > This includes the source tarball and bindists for Windows, Linux, OS
> > X, FreeBSD, and Solaris, on x86 and x86_64. There is a signed copy of
> > the SHA256 hashes available (attached) using my GPG key (keyid
> > 0x3B58D86F).
> >
> > We plan to make the 7.8.1 RC2 release quite soon, as we're aware of
> > some existing issues.
> >
> > Please test as much as possible; bugs are much cheaper if we find them
> > before the release!

-- Michael Steele