RFC: changes to -i flag for finding source files

Alois Cochard alois.cochard at gmail.com
Mon Apr 28 11:47:37 UTC 2014

Coming from Scala where I can basically structure my directory sources the
way I want I got a bit frustrated by Haskell rigidity here.

So definitely a +1, and I agree cabal support is quite important.

OTOH, I don't think Haskell should go in the way of allowing 'any'
structure (like scala), but being able to have shortcut like that would be
definitely beneficial.

Also, I don't think integrating such feature will be an issue for the text
editors "jump to declaration" feature, as they should usually use `tags`
files.

On 28 April 2014 09:40, Roman Cheplyaka <roma at ro-che.info> wrote:

> * Simon Marlow <marlowsd at gmail.com> [2014-04-28 09:26:23+0100]
> > On 25/04/2014 17:57, Roman Cheplyaka wrote:
> > >* Edward Kmett <ekmett at gmail.com> [2014-04-25 11:22:46-0400]
> vacuous

> all of the

> > >I'd really not want that people start putting ghc-options: -isrc=...
> > >into their cabal files. That'd make them irrecoverably ghc-specific, as
> no other
> > >tool will know how to process the files unless it reads ghc-options.
> >
> > No, the idea would be to use hs-source-dirs like this:
> >
> >   hs-source-dirs: A.B.C=src
> >
> > Cabal just passes this in a -i option to GHC, so it almost Just Works,
> > except that Cabal needs to preprocess some source files so it needs to
> find
> > them, and also sdist needs to find source files.
>
> In that case, I'm in favour of this proposal.
>
> Please consider the reversed syntax instead:
>
>   hs-source-dirs: src=A.B.C
>
> I find it more intuitive, because A.B.C becomes sort of an optional
> parameter,
> the empty prefix being its default value.
>
> Roman

*Alois Cochard*
http://aloiscochard.blogspot.com
http://twitter.com/aloiscochard