default roles

Joachim Breitner mail
Thu Oct 10 07:23:12 UTC 2013

Hi,

Am Mittwoch, den 09.10.2013, 23:18 -0400 schrieb Richard Eisenberg:
> On Oct 9, 2013, at 6:24 PM, Joachim Breitner <mail at joachim-breitner.de> wrote:
> >
> > So the conclusion is indeed: Let type class constraints have a nominal
> > role, and all is fine.
>
> But, then it would seem that any class with a superclass wouldn't be
> compatible with GND. Do you see that detail as a consequence of this
> design?
>
> I think this approach might work, but I'm not yet convinced.

given that we coerce the fields individually already, and are not going
to change that, I don?t think there is a problem with superclasses.

Even more so: The instance datatype of the subclass will have a field
that contains the instance _datatype_ of the superclass, not a field
with a type class constraint (because as soon as we talk about
dictionaries, we are in Core, where the instance _type functions_ have
already been resolved), which would be representational.

It probably is confusing that (IIRC) the same TyCon is used for both
uses of classes: At the Haskell level, as a function on types; at the
core level, as a regular datatype.

Greetings,
Joachim

--