Linux deployment requirements for GHC-produced binaries

Brandon Allbery allbery.b
Thu Oct 3 18:38:46 UTC 2013

On Thu, Oct 3, 2013 at 1:10 PM, Yitzchak Gale <gale at sefer.org> wrote:

> I wrote:
> >> [For] GHC-compiled binaries...
> >> what are the exact requirements we need to communicate
> >> to our customers?
>
> You wrote:
> > Ideally you would use `ldd` on
> > binaries to determine other dynamic dependencies
> > that must be communicated
>
> ldd just says "not a dynamic executable".

o.O I don't think the ghc runtime uses dlopen() to get at gmp (and I'm not
sure that would even work in a static binary). You may need to resort to
strace to find out what's trying to pull in libgmp.so.whatever. Unless this
program is like xmonad and requires ghc behind the scenes to build
something, in which case you would indeed need everything that ghc requires
(and, of course, ghc itself).