Linux deployment requirements for GHC-produced binaries

Yitzchak Gale gale
Thu Oct 3 17:10:52 UTC 2013

Hi Brandon,

Thanks for your response and explanation.

You wrote:
> Ideally you would use `ldd` on
> binaries to determine other dynamic dependencies
> that must be communicated

ldd just says "not a dynamic executable".

When run against ghc itself, ldd gives a list of 11 dynamic
libraries, and for each of them the specific binary version
of the library that it linked against on my own particular
machine.

Does the machine on which we run the GHC-compiled
binary need every single one of these libraries in order
to run?

Here is the list of libraries - identical for both
GHC 7.4.2 and GHC 7.6.3:

linux-vdso.so.1
libncursesw.so.5
librt.so.1