Marking type constructor arguments as nominal (e.g. Set)

Richard Eisenberg eir at cis.upenn.edu
Mon Aug 19 03:24:45 CEST 2013

The recommended way to do this (force a Nominal parameter) is

> {-# LANGUAGE RoleAnnotations #-}
> data Set a at N = Set a

The @N annotation forces `a`'s role to be Nominal, as desired, but makes no other change to the type. Note that role annotations can only "increase" roles -- you can't use role annotations to force, say, a type parameter to a GADT to have role R. You can read http://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Roles or my recent blog post http://typesandkinds.wordpress.com/2013/08/15/roles-a-new-feature-of-ghc/ for more introduction.

To see the roles that GHC assigns to type variables, I've used -ddump-tc. The role annotations are all printed in the output.

Richard