ghc api and .o files

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at
Tue Sep 25 15:37:05 CEST 2012

On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 8:39 PM, Evan Laforge <qdunkan at> wrote:

> > ("man" on Linux, "man dyld" on OS X, for the details)
> I thought ghc uses its own homegrown loader, not the system one?  I.e.
> ghci loads .o files, not .dyld or .so.

The bytecode backend (used by ghci, TH, runghc) uses a separate loader;
compiling uses the system loader.  Either way, though, the system's dynamic
loader (which is invoked very early in initializing a new program) is
always used because system libraries are usually shared; on ELF systems,
it's also the "interpreter" for compiled programs so is unavoidable.  (I
don't know if something similar is true for Mach-O.)

brandon s allbery                                      allbery.b at