Type operators in GHC

Simon Peyton-Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Sat Sep 15 01:26:43 CEST 2012

Fair point.  So you are saying it'd be ok to say

  data T (.->)  = MkT (Int .-> Int)

where (.+) is a type variable?   Leaving ordinary (+) available for type constructors.

If we are inverting the convention I wonder whether we might invert it completely and use ":" as the "I'm different" herald as we do for *constructor* operators in terms.  Thus

  data T (:->)  = MkT (Int :-> Int)

That seems symmetrical, and perhaps nicer than having a new notation.

         In terms                                      In types
a        Term variable                             Type variable
A        Data constructor                         Type constructor
+        Term variable operator               Type constructor operator
:+      Data constructor operator           Type variable operator

Any other opinions?

Simon