Type operators in GHC

Conal Elliott conal at conal.net
Fri Sep 7 00:59:21 CEST 2012

Oh dear. I'm very sorry to have missed this discussion back in January. I'd
be awfully sad to lose pretty infix notation for type variables of kind *
-> * -> *. I use them extensively in my libraries and projects, and pretty
notation matters.

I'd be okay switching to some convention other than lack of leading ':' for
signaling that a symbol is a type variable rather than constructor, e.g.,
the *presence* of a leading character such as '.'.

Given the increasing use of arrow-ish techniques and of type-level
programming, I would not classify the up-to-7.4 behavior as a "foolish
consistency", especially going forward.

-- Conal