Kind refinement in type families with PolyKinds

Simon Peyton-Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Wed Oct 31 17:43:27 CET 2012

I think the issue is this.  We have
          Strip :: forall k. * -> k

When you say
type instance Strip (Maybe a) = Maybe
GHC infers the kind arguments (as with all hidden argument) to get

          type instance Strip (*->*) (Maybe a) = Maybe

It would be fine to have another type instance like this
type instance Strip (Maybe a) = Int
which would turn into
          type instance Strip * (Maybe a) = Maybe

In all cases, an occurrence of (Strip <kind> <type>) will match one of the "type instances" only if, well, it matches, including the kind.

Does that answer the question.

I would love someone to write some user guidance notes about this kind of thing, perhaps as a new sub-page of
http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/GHC/Type_system

Simon