Dynamic libraries by default and GHC 7.8

Stephen Paul Weber singpolyma at singpolyma.net
Tue Nov 27 16:22:12 CET 2012

Somebody claiming to be Ian Lynagh wrote:
>GHC HEAD now has support for using dynamic libraries by default (and in
>particular, using dynamic libraries and the system linker in GHCi) for a
>number of platforms.
>
>The various issues are described in a wiki page here:
>    http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/DynamicByDefault

IIRC, one of the problems with dynamic linking in GHC is that when the GHC
version is different, the ABI can often be different enough to making such
shared libraries incompatible with each other / binaries made on different
GHCs.  This makes distribution a potential nightmare (where you have to
package all the *.so files and send them along with your binary, which is
essentially the same as static linking, but more pain).  Is this no longer
the case, or am I completely misremembering this?

Also, you say "for a number of platforms" and that wiki page says
"Currently, we don't know how to do dynamic-by-default on Windows in
a satisfactory way."  So I assume Windows is not one of the platforms that
would be seeing this change?

--
Stephen Paul Weber, @singpolyma
See <http://singpolyma.net> for how I prefer to be contacted