Dynamic libraries by default and GHC 7.8

Ian Lynagh ian at well-typed.com
Tue Nov 27 15:52:48 CET 2012

Hi all,

GHC HEAD now has support for using dynamic libraries by default (and in
particular, using dynamic libraries and the system linker in GHCi) for a
number of platforms.

This has some advantages and some disadvantages, so we need to make a
decision about what we want to do in GHC 7.8. There are also some policy
questions we need to answer about how Cabal will work with a GHC that
uses dynamic libraries by default. We would like to make these as soon
as possible, so that GHC 7.6.2 can ship with a Cabal that works
correctly.

The various issues are described in a wiki page here:
    http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/DynamicByDefault

If you have a few minutes to read it then we'd be glad to hear your
feedback, to help us in making our decisions

Thanks
Ian
--
Ian Lynagh, Haskell Consultant