[haskell-llvm] fatal error with ghci and llvm

Henning Thielemann lemming at henning-thielemann.de
Fri Nov 23 21:34:19 CET 2012

On Fri, 23 Nov 2012, José Romildo Malaquias wrote:

> When experimenting with the module LLVM.Core in GHCi on my gentoo linux
> system, I have got a fatal error:
> $ ghci
> GHCi, version 7.6.1: http://www.haskell.org/ghc/  :? for help
> Prelude> :m + LLVM.Core
> Prelude LLVM.Core> IntEQ
> GHCi runtime linker: fatal error: I found a duplicate definition for symbol
>   LLVMAddAlwaysInlinerPass
> whilst processing object file
>   /usr/lib64/llvm/libLLVMipo.a
> This could be caused by:
>   * Specifying the same object file twice on the GHCi command line
>   * An incorrect `package.conf' entry, causing some object to be
>     loaded twice.
> GHCi cannot safely continue in this situation.  Exiting now.  Sorry.

There are problems with the configure procedure of llvm-base. The
configure file fetches the llvm-base.buildinfo.in file and replaces the
variables with informations for your system. The result ends up in

You may post the content of this file for further diagnostics.

You said earlier that you use a custom path for llvm. Maybe you have
conflicts between two versions, one in /usr/lib and one in /usr/local/lib?