Building GHC for BB10 (QNX)

Simon Marlow marlowsd at gmail.com
Mon Nov 12 17:38:27 CET 2012

On 10/11/2012 19:53, Stephen Paul Weber wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I'm interesting in trying to get an initial port for BlackBerry 10 (QNX)
> going.  It's a POSIXish environment with primary interest in two
> architechtures: x86 (for simulator) and ARMv7 (for devices).
>
> I'm wondering if
> <http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Building/Porting> is fairly
> up-to-date or not?  Is there a better place I should be looking?
>
> One big difference (which may turn out to be a problem) is that the
> readily-available QNX compilers (gcc ports) are cross-compilers.  I
> realise that GHC has no good support to act as a cross-compiler yet, and
> anticipate complications arising from trying to build GHC using a
> cross-compiler for bootstrapping (since that implies GHC acting as a
> cross-compiler at some point in the bootstrapping).
>
> Any suggestions would be very welcome.

Cross-compilation is the way to port GHC at the moment, although
unfortunately our support for cross-compilation is currently under
development and is not particularly robust.  Some people have managed to
port GHC using this route in recent years (e.g. the iPhone port).  For
the time being, you will need to be able to diagnose and fix problems
yourself in the GHC build system to get GHC ported.

Ian Lynagh is currently looking into cross-compilation and should be
able to tell you more.