cabal install version selection

Christian Höner zu Siederdissen choener at
Sat Mar 31 00:37:32 CEST 2012

Hi everybody,

I fail to remember or re-google the package version selection for cabal,
if no version constraints are given.

If I depend on "iteratee", and there are no constraints, does it take
the lowest version?

When I pushed the newest version of the RNAFold package, the log showed
iteratee-0.1.0 to be used, which failed of course:

It got really weird, however when I saw that the dependency
BiobaseVienna-, which is the one actually using iteratee, was
built correctly.

Of course, seeing the error of my way, I have started adding more
version constraints to every package I maintain.