GHC build linking error

Sean Leather leather at
Thu Jun 7 18:40:36 CEST 2012

Hi wren,

On Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 7:32 AM, wren ng thornton wrote:

> I'm working on creating some distribution bundles of GHC 7.4.1 and HP
> 2012.2.0.0 for OSX 10.5 to help rectify the lack of support on older Macs.
> In building GHC I've run into a linking error in stage1:
>    ld: duplicate symbol ___gmpz_abs in libraries/integer-gmp/gmp/**objs/add.o
> and libraries/integer-gmp/gmp/**objs/abs.o
> Which looks like the same issue discussed in:
> users/2011-December/021339.**html<>
> The only proposed solution was Sean mentioned explicitly passing the
> GMP.framework to ./configure via --with-gmp-libraries and
> --with-gmp-includes; however, I have no such GMP.framework (I'm building
> from the framework versions of GHC 6.12.1 and HP 2010.1.0.0).
> So, any ideas on how to fix this?

I was hoping somebody else had a bright idea, but no takers, yet.

I don't remember where I got my GMP.framework from, exactly. I thought it
used to be bundled with the HP. But it's apparently not anymore.

I did some digging and came across the old repository for building Mac

Perhaps you can use the script that's in there to build GMP.framework.
Alternatively, I can provide you with mine directly.