GHC build linking error

wren ng thornton wren at freegeek.org
Tue Jun 5 07:32:24 CEST 2012

Hello all,

I'm working on creating some distribution bundles of GHC 7.4.1 and HP
2012.2.0.0 for OSX 10.5 to help rectify the lack of support on older
Macs. In building GHC I've run into a linking error in stage1:

     ld: duplicate symbol ___gmpz_abs in
libraries/integer-gmp/gmp/objs/add.o and
libraries/integer-gmp/gmp/objs/abs.o

Which looks like the same issue discussed in:

http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/glasgow-haskell-users/2011-December/021339.html

The only proposed solution was Sean mentioned explicitly passing the
GMP.framework to ./configure via --with-gmp-libraries and
--with-gmp-includes; however, I have no such GMP.framework (I'm building
from the framework versions of GHC 6.12.1 and HP 2010.1.0.0).

So, any ideas on how to fix this?

--
Live well,
~wren