Call to arms: lambda-case is stuck and needs your help

wagnerdm at seas.upenn.edu wagnerdm at seas.upenn.edu
Thu Jul 5 17:22:38 CEST 2012

Quoting Mikhail Vorozhtsov <mikhail.vorozhtsov at gmail.com>:

> After 21 months of occasional arguing the lambda-case proposal(s) is
> in danger of being buried under its own trac ticket comments. We
> need fresh blood to finally reach an agreement on the syntax. Read
> the wiki page[1], take a look at the ticket[2], vote and comment on
> the proposals!
>
> P.S. I'm CC-ing Cafe to attract more people, but please keep the
> discussion to the GHC Users list.
>
> [1] http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/LambdasVsPatternMatching
> [2] http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/4359

Well, for what it's worth, my vote goes for a multi-argument \case. I
find the comment on the wiki page about mistyping "\case Just x"
instead of "\case (Just x)" a lot a bit disingenuous, since you
already need these parens with today's lambda. The complaint that
multi-argument cases are unorthodox doesn't really hold a lot of
weight with me -- much more serious things than syntax have changed in
GHC compared to the Report!

Is there a more formal way to cast votes...?
~d