ANNOUNCE: GHC 7.4.1 Release Candidate 2

Austin Seipp at
Sun Jan 29 03:26:39 CET 2012

Hello again Ian,

I noticed that in December, Bas van Dijk reported a bug in the
implementation of ConstraintKinds/associated type defaults, and the
fix wasn't merged to 7.4.1.

The relevant email thread is archived here:

The relevant trac ticket is #5719 here:

The example in the ticket does not type-check with GHC 7.4.1-rc2, but
it does with a copy of HEAD. There seem to be 2 commits that are
relevant to this issue:

Would it be possible to have these merged into the 7.4 branch before
release? They fix the issue Bas reported, and eliminate the need for
his kludgy fix which uses an Empty typeclass to get around the issue.
It makes turning Set into a Functor much cleaner in this case, IMO.