Records in Haskell

Greg Weber greg at gregweber.info
Wed Jan 4 11:54:09 CET 2012

The Frege author does not have a ghc mail list account but gave a more
detailed explanation of how he goes about TDNR for records and how often it
type checks without annotation in practice.

A more general explanation is here:
http://www.reddit.com/r/haskell/comments/nph9l/records_stalled_again_leadership_needed/c3di9sw

He sent a specific response to Simon's mail list message, quoted below:

Simon Peyton-Jones is absolutely correct when he notes:

Well the most obvious issue is this. 3.2 says e.m = (T.m e) if the
expression e has type t and the type constructor of t is T and there exists
a function T.m But that innocent-looking statement begs the *entire*
question! How do we know if "e has type t?

The way it is done in Frege is such that, if you have a function that uses
or updates (nondestructively, of course) a "record" then at least the type
constructor of that record has to be known. This is no different than doing
it explicitly with case constructs, etc., just here you learn the types
from the constructors you write in the patterns.

Hence, it is not so that one can write a function that updates field f to
42 for any record that contains a field f:

foo x = x.{f=42}    -- type annotation required for foo or x

In practice this means you'll have to write a type annotation here and
there.
Often, the field access is not the only one that happens to some variable
of record type, or the record is the result of another function
application. In such cases, the type is known.
I estimate that in 2/3 of all cases one does not need to write (T.e x) in
sparsely type annotated code, despite the fact that the frege type checker
has a left to right bias and does not yet attempt to find the type of x in
the code that "follows" the x.e construct (after let unrolling etc.)
I think one could do better and guarantee that, if the type of x is
inferrable at all, then so will be x.e (Still, it must be more than just a
type variable.)