Records in Haskell

Greg Weber greg at gregweber.info
Sun Jan 1 18:39:19 CET 2012

****

> ** **
>
> Haskell type classes were specifically designed to address this situation.
> And if you apply type classes to the record situation, I think you end up
> with****
>
> http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Records/OverloadedRecordFields

More specifically I think of this as TDNR, which instead of the focus of
the wiki page of maintaining backwards compatibility and de-surgaring to
polymorphic constraints. I had hoped that there were different ideas or at
least more flexibility possible for the TDNR implementation.

> ****
>
> ** **
>
> Well, so maybe we can give up on that.  Imagine Frege without the above
> abbreviation.  The basic idea is that field names are rendered unique by
> pre-pending the module name.  As I understand it, to record selection one
> would then be forced to write (T.m e), to select the ‘m’ field.  That is
> the, qualification with T is compulsory.   The trouble with this is that
> it’s **already** possible; simply define suitably named fields****
>
>   data T = MkE { t_m :: Int, t_n :: Bool }****
>
> Here I have prefixed with a (lower case version of) the type name.  So we
> don’t seem to be much further ahead.****
>
> ** **
>
> Maybe one could make it optional if there is no ambiguity, much like
> Haskell’s existing qualified names.  But there is considerable ambiguity
> about whether T.m means ****
>
>   m imported from module T****
>
> or****
>
>   the m record selector of data type T

If there is ambiguity, we expect the T to be a module. So you would need to
refer to Record T's module: OtherModule.T.n or T.T.n
Alternatively these conflicts could be compilation errors.
Either way programmers are expected to structure their programs to avoid
conflicting names, no different then they do now.

****

> ** **
>
> Perhaps one could make it work out.  But before we can talk about it we
> need to see a design. Which takes us back to the question of leadership.**
> **

I am trying to provide as much leadership on this issue as I am capable
of. Your critique is very useful in that effort.

At this point the Frege proposal without TDNR seems to be a small step
forward. We can now define records with clashing fields in the same module.
However, without TDNR we don't have convenient access to those fields.
I am contacting the Frege author to see if we can get any more insights on
implementation details.