[CFARM-REQUEST] GHC build bots on CompileFarm?

Joachim Breitner nomeata at debian.org
Wed Feb 8 22:47:30 CET 2012

Hi Laurent,

Am Mittwoch, den 08.02.2012, 17:55 +0100 schrieb Laurent GUERBY:
> On Tue, 2012-02-07 at 22:34 +0100, Joachim Breitner wrote:
> > Dear Laurent,
> >
> > I’m one of the Debian maintainers of the main Haskell compiler GHC. GHC
> > itself has little resources to maintain GHC on exotic architectures, but
> > Debian tries hard to provide a Haskell ecosystem on these. It would help
> > a lot if there were GHC buildbots on these architectures, and I would
> > like to volunteer to manage these, but I’m still looking for suitable
> > hardware.
> >
> > Note that GHC is a big beast, it takes 29h and requires 4GB free disk
> > space and preferably something around 6GB of RAM to build on a arm box.I
> > think you need to take that into account when deciding upon this
> > request.  I’d already be happy if I can do a test run every week or so.
> >
> > GHC is BSD licensed (http://www.haskell.org/ghc/license), my
> > contributions are mostly Debian package maintenance and a few minor
> > patches.
>
> Hi Joachim,
>
> How do you manage to build something needing 6GB of RAM on arm machines?
>
> We don't have such machine in the farm :).

well, the machine has 1.5GB, but it seems to have plenty of swap. I
can’t really tell because I cannot login on these boxes, they just
automatically build Debian packages.

> Currently all of our arm machines are offline because they tend to be
> not stable under load (the farm has 300 users), at least when I last
> looked. I'm open to advice on how to setup arm machines to be useful for
> build systems, if you have some Haskell/debian volunteers in France I
> have a few arm machines around (I'm in Toulouse, and travel to Paris &
> other cities from time to time).

Ok, it seems someone else is about to set up an ARM buildbot, so this is
covered.

> For other architectures just apply for a farm account (send me your
> ssh public key in attachment, and your prefered unix login).

Yes, that’d be nice. Username "nomeata", SSH key attached.

Greetings,
Joachim

--
Joachim "nomeata" Breitner