Taking binary from hackage or GHC?

Joachim Breitner nomeata at debian.org
Wed Feb 8 13:12:25 CET 2012

Am Mittwoch, den 08.02.2012, 11:24 +0100 schrieb Joachim Breitner:
> Dear interested parties :-),
> GHC 7.4.1 started to ship and expose the binary library, version
> On hackage is binary- In Debian, we try to provide one
> version of each library, so we have to decide:
>  * Use the version provided by GHC and drop the independent binary
> package (as we have done with random, for example).

That should not be random (which went the other way, from GHC to a
package of its own), but deepseq.

It seems that upstream recommends to take this path, so I’ll request
removal of the package soon.

@DHG: This means that the version constraint on the libghc-binary-*
dependencies need to be removed, as ghc provides libghc-binary-dev, but
such provides never carry a version number in Debian. The build
dependency itself can stay; it doesn't hurt and will prevent failed
builds if some future GHC packages stops exposing binary.

Joachim "nomeata" Breitner
Debian Developer