building GHC for Slackware/Salix

Ian Lynagh ian at well-typed.com
Sun Dec 16 16:18:51 CET 2012

Hi Tim,

On Sun, Dec 09, 2012 at 11:53:32AM -0300, tim.beech wrote:

> My build script unpacks the binary distribution for "unknown linux" and
> builds GHC against that. (Both are version 7.4.2.) I have avoided
> installing anything else (such as the Haskell Platform) so as to keep as
> close as possible to the ideal of a package as a transparent,
> reproducible process that only depends on the source. As far as I can
> tell from the build prerequisites
>
> http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Building/Preparation/Tools
>
> the only consequence is that documentation is only created as html, not
> pdf and ps as well.

You don't need the haskell-platform to build the docs; I suspect you're
missing dblatex.

> Unexpected failures:
> lib/Time T5430 [bad stdout] (normal)
> perf/compiler parsing001 [stat not good enough] (normal)
> simplCore/should_compile spec-inline [stderr mismatch] (optasm)
>
> That is after running the fast version of the test suite, which the
> documentation says should pass 100%.
>
> My second question is, do these results suggest anything as to where the
> problem may lie, and how important it is?

You'd need to look at how the tests failed. If you add
    TEST="T5430 parsing001 spec-inline"
to the command you were running the testsuite with then it'll run just
those tests, which will make it easier to see what's happening.

> When I then installed the new package and built the Haskell Platform
> against it (using the build script at http://slackbuilds.org), although
> the installation nonetheless appeared to be succesful, the build script
> failed at the very end where it tries to do
>
> ghc-pkg recache
>
> When I did this manually, I discovered root permissions were needed. Is
> that normal?

I'm not familiar with the HP build script, I'm afraid.

Thanks
Ian