building GHC for Slackware/Salix

Tim Beech tim.beech at gmail.com
Fri Dec 14 15:35:57 CET 2012

I've now tried a build strictly according to the instructions, which
is to say, I installed the binary distribution, then haskell-platform
on top of it, before building GHC from source. I get the same errors,
plus a few more (I did the quick build rather than the fully optimized
default build, so maybe that's why; most of the extra failures are
from perf/compiler and say "stat not good enough").
Out of curiosity, I unpacked the bindist tarball afresh and ran the
failed tests on it. They also failed (the third one in a few more
ways):

Unexpected failures:
   lib/Time  T5430 [bad stdout]
(normal,hpc,optasm,profasm,threaded1,threaded2,dyn,profthreaded)
   lib/Time  T5430 [bad stdout or stderr] (ghci)

All this makes me think there is something wrong with my setup. I'd be
very grateful if anyone has any suggestions - or if this is the wrong
place for these questions, where would be a better place.

Tim