proposal: separate lists for ghc-cvs commits and ghc-dev chatter

Simon Marlow marlowsd at
Thu Dec 6 22:15:06 CET 2012

On 06/12/12 17:04, Ian Lynagh wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 06, 2012 at 12:29:01PM +0000, Simon Peyton-Jones wrote:
>> My own understanding is this:
>> A GHC *user* is someone who uses GHC, but doesn't care how it is implemented.
>> A GHC *developer* is someone who wants to work on GHC itself in some way.
>> The current mailing lists:
>> * glasgow-haskell-users: for anything that a GHC *user* cares about
>> * glasgow-haskell-bugs: same, but with a focus on bug reporting
> I see glasgow-haskell-bugs as being mainly for developers, who want to
> see what bugs are coming in.
> It's true that we do give e-mailing it as a (less preferred) way for
> users to submit a bug on
> but I wonder if we shouldn't change that. It's rare that we get a bug
> report e-mailed, and normally we ultimately end up creating a trac
> ticket for it anyway. I'm sure that people who really want to submit a
> bug report and for whatever reason can't use trac will e-mail it
> somewhere sensible.

+1.  ghc-bugs used to be for user-generated bug reports, but now it is
almost exclusively Trac-generated emails. I don't think anything is
gained by suggesting that people email bug reports any more.