build failures when hiding non-visible imports

Ganesh Sittampalam ganesh at
Mon Aug 20 23:11:57 CEST 2012

On 17/08/2012 11:18, Simon Peyton-Jones wrote:
> | Would it be reasonable to change ghc's behavior to treat this
> | (ie an 'import' statement that hides something that isn't exported) as a
> | warning instead of an error?
> Yes, that would be easy if it's what everyone wants. Any other opinions?

I don't feel strongly either way, but I'd just argue that if it happens
it should happen for 7.6.1 to get maximum benefit.

Otherwise packages will still need preprocessor hacks to hide
Prelude.catch in the meantime (or to use explicit imports from the
Prelude, which would be pretty annoying).