Request for comments on proposal for literate programming using markdown

Philip Holzenspies pkfh at st-andrews.ac.uk
Mon Aug 13 10:45:51 CEST 2012

On 9 Aug 2012, at 15:26, Simon Hengel wrote:

> Just to clarify, I was not talking about pandoc, but pandoc-unlit (which
> uses pandoc to unlit Markdown, see the README [1]).

Sorry, I was a bit unclear there. I know about the program and it depends on the library.

>> However, it's a bit of an overspec'd package to link into the
>> compiler, don't you think?
>
> I did not mean to modify the Compiler.  Unliting is done by an external
> program.  This already allows you to customize unliting [2].

Absolutely true, but I came across this in the GHC-source itself. I would like the GHC-source to be literateable (not a work, but you know what I mean) in markdown. Now, the GHC-source could be build with the same mechanism for having unlitting done by an external program, but that would make the build process depend on a very large library (through pandoc-unlit, depending on pandoc), which, by the way, has a GPL license.

Anyhow, although absolutely true for one's own usage, this does not seem like an alternative to allow markdown (or reStructuredText) lhs in the GHC source.

Regards,
Philip