[Haskell-cafe] GSoC proposal: Units for GHC

Richard Eisenberg eir at seas.upenn.edu
Wed Apr 4 14:59:20 CEST 2012

Hi Nils,

I think this is a great idea, and something I have on my longer-term
to-think-about-hard list. I experimented with an implementation of this
a few months ago, and I can try to recap, briefly, what I learned.

- A first crack at units in Haskell has already been done (by Bjorn
Buckwalter) and made public at http://code.google.com/p/dimensional/
This implementation uses functional dependencies heavily and is
restricted to only a specific 7 units.

- The version I hacked together used a whole lot of type families and
type level integers to track the degree of the different units. It
mostly worked, with a few caveats:
   - Type inference sometimes got held up around the type families.
   - The set of units to be used was user-definable, but all the units
had to be declared in the same place. This was because, under the hood,
each unit was assigned a number. I spent a while trying to get it all to
work without needing this internal representation, but failed.
   - It was necessary to be very careful about ordering and such -- the
system naturally couldn't figure out that a + b = b + a.

I would recommend you check out
http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/TypeNats, a new development
already merged into HEAD that adds some mathematical axioms into the
constraints checker (solving the last problem I mentioned above). I also
believe there is work on type-level strings (which might be a solution
to the second problem), but I don't know much about it.

I guess my bottom-line conclusion is that with all the features that
Haskell already has, it may be possible to do this in a separate
library, if type inference is up to the challenge. I agree with Jurriën
that a library is better than a compiler update.

Looking forward to seeing the finished product!
Richard