[Haskell-cafe] GSoC proposal: Units for GHC

Christian Hoener zu Siederdissen choener at tbi.univie.ac.at
Wed Apr 4 14:55:58 CEST 2012

Hi,

Most, if not all could reasonably be implemented using type families --
though there is a potential O(n^2) instance problem. In KIS:PEY:2010,
there is an example for addition which you could look at.

That is, using the example

(1::Int) + (1::Double) would work out to (2::Double) instead of a
compile-time error.

The paper is probably a very good read for you.

Gruss,
Christian

KIS:PEY:2010
Kiselyov et al, Fun with type functions