Windows build problems

B. Scott Michel at
Fri Sep 16 04:17:54 CEST 2011

It might also be the case that you're seeing the same issue as ghci not finding the stdc++ library. The solution may be as simple as hacking the Makefile is nail a specific PATH to where iconv.dll is located. But, I'm not in front of a development box, so I can't be of much help.

-----Original Message-----
From: Bill Tutt <bill at>
Sender: glasgow-haskell-users-bounces at
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2011 21:22:34
To: <glasgow-haskell-users at>
Subject: Re: Windows build problems

On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 9:01 PM, Bill Tutt <bill at> wrote:
> I ended up getting an error during stage 2 about the iconv.dll not
> being findable. (I'm guessing the new msys/mingw autosmarted GHC
> boot/configure or cabal configure process somehow ....)

Yep. This is most likely the problem. -liconv wasn't found during
Simon's 8/23 ghc-HEAD build on Windows:

cabal configure of libraries\base found a working -liconv
from one of:

The in tree mingw is picking up /lib/libiconv.a but apparently
libraries\base\configure doesn't require it to be a shared library.

Glasgow-haskell-users mailing list
Glasgow-haskell-users at