Making a small GHC installation

Joachim Breitner mail at joachim-breitner.de
Tue Oct 11 22:00:33 CEST 2011

Hi,

Am Dienstag, den 11.10.2011, 11:02 -0700 schrieb Iavor Diatchki:
> The context is that I need to make a demo VM, which has a limited
> amount of space, and I'd like to have GHC installed on the system but
> the default GHC installation (~700MB) does not fit.  The installation
> does not need to be complete---I don't need documentation, or
> profiling, or Template Haskell---and I only need to install a fairly
> limited set of libraries, just enough to build my project.  I'd be
> happy to build a custom version of GHC, if that's the easiest way to
> achieve the goal.
>
> So, if you have experience doing something similar, or you know of
> what might be the best way to approach the problem, advice would be
> most welcome!

The debian ghc package comes without profiling (in ghc-prof) and
documentation (ghc-doc). I’d be happy to hear that someone actually
profits from that split :-) Installed size is about 250MB. So also in
terms of efforts it might be easiest to bootstrap a minimal Debian and
install ghc on it.

Greetings,
Joachim

PS: I’m a Debian Developer, so of course my advice is biased :-)

--
Joachim "nomeata" Breitner
  mail at joachim-breitner.de  |  nomeata at debian.org  |  GPG: 0x4743206C