behaviour change in getDirectoryContents in GHC 7.2?

John Millikin jmillikin at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 18:15:22 CET 2011

On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 06:53, Max Bolingbroke
<batterseapower at hotmail.com> wrote:
> I've got a patch that will work around the issue in most situations by
> avoiding the iconv code path. With the patch everything will work OK
> as long as the system locale is one that we have a native-Haskell
> decoder for (i.e. basically UTF-8). So you will still be able to get
> the broken behaviour if the above 3 conditions are met AND your system
> locale is not UTF-8.

What package does this patch -- "unix", "directory", something else?

> I think the only way to fix this last case in general is to fix iconv
> itself, so I'm going to see if I can get a patch upstream. Fixing it
> for people with UTF-8 locales should be enough for 99% of users,
> though.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but it sounds like you're still trying to
treat posix file paths as text. There should not be any iconv or
locales or anything involved in looking up a posix file path.