Proposal to incorporate

Don Stewart dons00 at
Wed May 11 00:44:38 CEST 2011

Hello everyone.

The committee[1], in the interest of the long-term stability
of the open source Haskell community infrastructure, has decided to
incorporate as a legal entity. This email outlines our
recommendation, and seeks input from the community on this decision.

The committee's proposal is that incorporate as an entity
under the Software Freedom Conservancy umbrella organization (the same group
that Darcs joined recently):

If we proceed with this move, will be a legal entity, and
registered as a non-profit, allowing us to more directly accept
(US tax-deductible) donations, and to invest in assets that benefit the
Haskell open source community.

We welcome your feedback on the proposal attached below.

-- Don Stewart (on behalf of the committee)

= A proposal for the incorporation of =

In recent years, has started to receive assets, e.g. money from
Google Summer Of Code, donations for Hackathons, and a Sparc machine for use in
GHC development. We have also started spending this money: in particular, on
hosting itself. There is also interest in running fundraising
drives for specific things such as Hackathon sponsorship and hosting fees.

However, doesn't currently exist as a legal entity, meaning that
these assets have had to be held on our behalf by other entities, such as
Galois and various universities. This leads to tricky situations, with no-one
being sure who should decide how the assets can be used.

To solve these problems, we propose that applies to become a member
project of the Software Freedom Conservancy (SFC)
<>. The SFC is a non-profit organization
that provides free financial and administrative services to open source
projects. Additionally, it has 501(c)(3) status, meaning donations from the US
are tax-deductible. The SFC would hold's money and other assets,
and would be able to accept donations on behalf of

The committee, as described here [2], will make decisions on
spending assets and other decisions related to governing the non-profit.

Before proceeding, we are inviting input from the community in the form
of specific objections or queries regarding the plan.

We've tried to answer some of the most likely questions:

Q: Does this mean that my Haskell project must now be covered by a
     copyleft licence such as GPL?