trac ticket spam

Max Bolingbroke batterseapower at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 12 10:00:12 CET 2011

On 31 January 2011 16:54, Simon Marlow <marlowsd at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> We've deleted all the spam tickets and ticket changes. Ian blocked a
>>> few IPs, and I've added some more patterns to the spam filter:
>>>
>>> http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/BadContent
>>
>> Thanks!
>> You've been using trac's spam filter for a while now, and these still
>> got through. Also, I hadn't seen the commenting
>> and "make random changes to fields" aspect before - it
>> could be that someone is improving/testing trac spamming
>> tools (as trac is in wide-spread use).
>>
>>  From checking the spam filter plugin description, and since
>> spammers hardly ever make a useful contribution before
>> posting spam, adopting the mailing list trick of moderating
>> the first post for each new account might help a little (and
>> might be easy to implement for a trac hacker).
>
> If such a thing is already available as a plugin then we can drop it in, but
> otherwise it's unlikely - we don't really have the brain-cycles available
> for hacking Trac itself.

(Since the spam problem doesn't seem to be getting better, I'm
resurrecting this thread)

There is this plugin: https://software.sandia.gov/trac/fast/wiki/TicketModerator

"""
The TicketModerator plugin is an extension for the  Trac project
management and bug/issue tracking system. It supports the human
moderation of new tickets and ticket comments for unprivileged users
within Trac. When an unprivileged user submits a ticket or ticket
comment, their submission is recorded in a "moderation queue" and is
not visible on the main Trac site until a Moderator reviews their
submission and either accepts or rejects it. Accepted submissions are
then inserted into the main Trac ticket database.
"""

So someone would have to volunteer to moderate but it would prevent
spam showing up immediately. After a first valid ticket by a new user
account they can be assigned the MODERATOR_PASS_* privileges so they
can contribute freely.

Possibly useful?

Cheers,
Max