integer-simple

Chris Dornan chris at chrisdornan.com
Thu Jul 28 14:29:24 CEST 2011

Hi All,

I have been trying to get a simple-integer build for GHC without success. It
always ends with the build going through fine, but when I try to run ghci I
get:

GHCi, version 6.12.3: http://www.haskell.org/ghc/  :? for help

ghc:
/usr/local/ghc/6.12.3-is/lib/ghc-6.12.3/integer-simple-0.1.0.0/HSinteger-sim
ple-0.1.0.0.o: unknown symbol `base_ControlziExceptionziBase_patError_info'

`integer-simple'

My MO is to

.         get binary GHC package, install it and put it on the path;

.         unpack the source distribution and set up build.mk, usually with
quicktest, always with INTEGER_LIBRARY = integer-simple;

.         configure, build and install;

.         switch the path over from the binary to the new build and run
ghci.

I have tried this many combinations of build and source trees from
ghc-6.12.1 up to 7.0.4 on CentOS/RHEL 5 & 6 with the same result.

The above output was taken from a 6.12.3 source tree built with 6.12.2
binaries.

Further:

.         I use 6.12.3 binaries heavily on CentOS 5 with no issue.

.         On the couple of occasions I have tried a vanilla build (no
build.mk), the build breaks down with GMP link errors. Configuring with
--with-gmp-includes=/usr/local/include  and --with-gmp-libs=/usr/local/lib
didn't help. (I did not persist for obvious reasons.)

.         At least Mik Konecny appears to got this to work for 6.12.3
<http://code.google.com/p/hmpfr/wiki/GHCWithoutGMP> .

'Tis all very odd! Anybody any idea what I am doing wrong?

Chris