Question about Haskell AST

Jane Ren j2ren at ucsd.edu
Mon Jan 24 18:20:21 CET 2011

Hi Simon,

That is exactly what I needed.  However, although I was able to get the patterns from the parse tree for test modules that I wrote, I was not able to get the parsetrees for the Haskell base library modules.
For example, I am trying to use Data/List.hs as a test.  Here's the code

    defaultErrorHandler defaultDynFlags $ do
      runGhc (Just libdir) $ do
        dflags <- getSessionDynFlags
	setSessionDynFlags dflags
        target <- guessTarget targetFile Nothing
        setTargets [target]
        load LoadAllTargets
        modSum <- getModSummary $ mkModuleName "Data.List"

When I try this, I get
"AstWalker: panic! (the 'impossible' happened)
  (GHC version 7.0.1 for x86_64-apple-darwin):
	lexical error at character 'i'
"

It appears this error comes from "load LoadAllTargets"

Any ideas how I can get parse trees for the Haskell base modules?

Sure, I can augment that wiki page.

Thanks
Jane