RFC: migrating to git

David Terei davidterei at gmail.com
Tue Jan 11 04:26:49 CET 2011

On 10 January 2011 22:19, Simon Marlow <marlowsd at gmail.com> wrote:
> We're intrested in opinions from both active and potential GHC
> developers/contributors.  Let us know what you think - would this make life
> harder or easier for you?  Would it make you less likely or more likely to
> contribute?

I would really like GHC to move to git. I find darcs pretty annoying
when working in a branch and the performance still just isn't good
enough (e.g can't use 'annotate'). I've been a big fan of git from
pretty much as soon as I started using it, its interface is badly
designed at times but with the help of google I've always been able to
get it to do what I want. Defiantly can't say the same for darcs. It
didn't stop me contributing but when I first started hacking on ghc I
was very put of by darcs as I had only recently got over the
nightmares of the very common exponential merge issue from 1.x days.