Records in Haskell

Greg Weber greg at
Thu Dec 29 18:13:40 CET 2011

Simon, I think you are continuing to move forward admirably on this. Thank
you for contributing my suggestion to the wiki. I just edited the wiki with
some more commentary. In particular I added:

Frege has a detailed explanation of the semantics of its record
implementation, and the language is *very* similar to Haskell. Lets just
start by using Frege's document as the proposal. We can start a new wiki
page as discussions are needed.

As previously stated on this thread, the Frege user manual is available
see Sections 3.2 (primary expressions) and 4.2.1 (Algebraic Data type
Declaration - Constructors with labeled fields)

To all those concerned about Records: look at the Frege implementation and
poke holes in it. We only want critiques about
* achieving name-spacing right now
* implementing it in such a way that extensible records could be
implemented in its place in the future, although we will not allow that
discussion to hold up a records implementation now, just possibly modify
things slightly.

Greg Weber